AIda Azlin's Love Letter dated 17092019

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيْمِ
Dengan menyebut nama Allah yang Maha Pengasih lagi Maha Penyayang
-------------------


I particularly like this latest edition of Love Letter by Aida Azlin, especially after I just got my "own revelation" in these couple of days, masya'Allah. 

Sharing this one with you, wishing that your day would be brighther than yesterday :)

Assalammualaikum Ladies, 
I was just thinking about this today - how I've been to Seoul at least 10 separate times, some for work, some purely for leisure, and every time with different people. I like Seoul, and I don't expect anyone to understand why or how, but seeing how I'm also doing our #AAxSeoulTours (now on its 6th round, Alhamdulillah), I often get asked, "Aida, doesn't it get boring and too repetitive?"

This question made me smile because here's what I think about boredom: it's a luxury.  I honestly wish I had time to get bored, but there's always something new to see, something interesting to learn, someone else to serve!

-

Just a few days ago, I brought the ladies who're from the 2nd round of this year's tour to Haneul Park. I've probably been there a number of times, but every time I go back, there's always something new to explore and see. This time around, my eyes were greeted with a breathtaking view of the sun, glowing regally in red, as it sets beyond the horizon. Ida (my teammate) and I also walked a little bit further than usual and came across a beautiful field full of pink muhly (as pictured above) - and as we sat with the rest of the ladies to share our intentions for the trip, one of the Sisters in the group made known that her goal is to have more "Khusyuk" in life. 

I absolutely loved that, and what I deduced from her sharing is we need to carry this desire to be mindful, present, and have an intense interest, wholeheartedness, and earnestness, for this life. 

Because if we don't, then it's easy to just exist without living, and even easier to get sucked in by the humdrum of everyday life. It's also tempting to throw the blame on everything and everyone else as the reason that your life is "boring" and/ or "too repetitive", but you always have the power, and the responsibility, to change your life around. 

Striving to have Khusyuk in life, to me, is like a muscle we have to train, a habit we have to build. And the more you strive to practice "Khusyuk"  in your life, the more aware you will be of His greatness and His Mercy.

But how do we start?

I've started compiling a list below, so I'll share with you what I have, Bismillah.
1) Get off your phone and put on your walking shoes

We took over 21,000 steps today just exploring a totally different side of Seoul. Walking forces us to be present and attentive - you can't cross a junction with your eyes fixed on the ground or on your phone, and with every step you take, you are either learning something new, or soaking in fresh and unfamiliar sights. When we walk, our body is also actively moving, and it's great cardio!

2) Watch less YouTube, more Sunsets

We've been so blessed to see a number of really beautiful Sunsets here in Seoul, and usually, they happen so fast that if you don't have "Khusyuk" in life, you'll miss it altogether. There's something transformative about Sunsets, and Mother Nature in general, and regardless of how many times in your life you have seen the sunsets, no two sunsets are ever the same!

3) Capture the moment with your heart, not the camera

On that note, if you do get to see Sunsets or other beautiful moments, and as much as it's tempting to reach your phone to snap a photo, resist. Try to leave one or two poignant moments free, uncaptured by the shutter, but secured safely within your heart. Everybody was trying to shoot a photo of the red glowing sun that we saw at Haneul Park, but no phone nor camera lens could replicate what our eyes saw. We all eventually gave up trying to shoot anything, and just enjoyed the majestic scene in front of us.

3) Share your thoughts with an actual human being, offline. 

In this Social Media age where everybody is given the access and the platform to share (aka rant / gloat / expose / boast) their opinions and their lives vis a vis IG captions or tweets, why don't we try to meet an actual human being, offline, and have a real one on one conversation? Then pay attention to their smiles, their body language, their hand gestures, the twinkle in their eyes and all the other beautiful quirks that make us human - traits that no emoji or a chat conversation can re-create.

4) As you clear your storage space in your phone, re-check what's taking up space in your heart too

Every other week, I'm always trying to clear my phone space - deleting old photos, apps that I no longer use, documents that are no longer needed etc etc, so that my phone can run faster. If I do this for my phone, why am I not doing this for my heart - the one most important thing that I need to have Khusyuk in life? Are there feelings or emotions that are weighing me down, that is taking up unnecessary space in my heart? Are there people or memories that I've not forgiven or forgotten?

5) Re-connect with the actual "Influencer" - Rasulullah SAW

So many of us know so many gratuitous and redundant things about celebrities and influencers, but have little to no clue when it comes to our beloved Rasulullah SAW and his Sunnahs. Learning about his daily habits and way of life is not only incumbent upon us, but will tremendously help us in living the most wholesome and fulfilling life. If we want to have Khusyuk in our lives, then Rasulullah SAW's life is the first one we should study on, and try to emulate.  

6) Take note of your blessings, not other people's

I 100% believe practicing gratitude is THE solution to every single problem in this world. If we are too busy comparing and obsessing over other people's highlight reels instead of detecting and acknowledging our own blessings, then that could be the first thing we can try to change. Gratitude, always, all ways.

7) Strive to have actual Khusyuk in our Solah

Solah is the foundation of our lives, so one of the best places we can start to practice having Khusyuk in our lives, is then, undoubtedly, our Solah. Isn't it beautiful how Allah grants us this blessing of Solah because it forces us to cut off everything of this Dunia, to slow down, and for just 5 minutes, be present? One things for sure - Allah doesn't need us praying to Him, it's us that needs these moments of quiet to repair and restore our hearts.  
-

Bit by bit, I'm trying to practice these things, and some days I do better than others, some days, not so much. I'm also slowly trying to add to the list too. But here's what I realised: as soon as you make the intention to have more "Khusyuk" in your lives, that "boredom" and "repetition" that you used to feel, or fear to have, will be eradicated, In Sha Allah.

Now it's your turn - tell me, what are some of the things you do to have more "Khusyuk" in life? I'd love to know.

Love and prayers always,
A


No comments:

Featured post

Thailand : Misi Mengejar Matahari (Satu)

Assalamualaikum & salam sejahtera. Alhamdulillah penutup 2016 dapat jugak layan trip bunga matahari! Kalau ikutkan dah lama plan ke si...